Post Judgment Modification of the Parenting Plan, Alimony, or Child Support

Post Judgment Modification of the Parenting Plan, Alimony, or Child Support

Whether as a result of a marital or paternity settlement agreement or a ruling of a judge after a trial, once the case is resolved, it does not mean you are stuck with this agreement or a ruling forever. In some circumstance it is possible to modify the parenting plan, alimony, or child support.

Modification of a Parenting Plan

In order to modify a court ordered or agreed to parenting plan, the parent seeking to modify the parenting plan must show that there has been a substantial and material change in circumstances of a parent and/or child since the entry of the parenting plan or agreement. The parent must also show that such change in circumstance was not anticipated at the time the parenting plan was agreed to or order by a judge. Lastly, the parent must show that the modification of the parenting plan will be in the best interest of the child. The parent seeking the modification has the burden of proving all the above factors. This is a difficult undertaking but a knowledgeable family law attorney can advise you whether the circumstances of your case warrant a modification of the parenting plan.

Modification of Alimony

It is important first to review your marital settlement agreement and/or final judgment of divorce to see if alimony is modifiable. A lot of times, as part of the negotiations process, the parties agree that alimony award will not be modifiable. Also, certain type of alimony, like bridge-the-gap alimony, is not modifiable by law.

Alimony in Florida

To modify an alimony award, the party must allege a change in circumstances. Meaning that either, the paying party no longer has the ability to pay alimony, or the receiving party no longer has a need for alimony, or that the receiving party’s needs have increased.

Another way to modify alimony is to show that the receiving party is in a supportive relationship, where he or she is no longer in need of alimony because the receiving party’s financial needs are being taken care of by the boyfriend or girlfriend.

Modification of Child Support

Many clients wonder if receiving a substantial raise will make their child support obligation go up or if they switch jobs and no longer earn the high salary they earned before, can they modify their child support obligation.

Child Support Fort lauderdale

To modify the monthly child support payment, the party must allege a substantial change in circumstances. The court considers a substantial change in circumstances where the difference between the existing monthly obligation and the new child support amount is at least 15 percent or $50, whichever amount is greater. It is important to consult a child support attorney to run the child support numbers before moving forward with the attempts to modify the child support.

child support attorney miami

To schedule a consultation to discuss whether your case is eligible for modification, contact us at (305)-520-9205 or fill out an online contact form.

"Helena is a thoughtful and genuine person and an incredibly great and knowledgeable attorney. She always has time to answer all of my questions no matter how petty I thought they were and in a timely manner. She fought for me, got through the complicated court system, and made me feel extremely well taken care of. I highly recommend her."

— Don

"I hired Helena about a year ago to represent me in a divorce. It was a messy divorce and she helped me get through it without loosing my mind. Helena is very knowledgeable and patient. She did very well in front of the judge."

— Dmitry

"A coworker recommended Ms. Farber to me, and I hired her to file for a divorce. Even though my husband and I eventually worked it out and the case was dismissed, I wanted to leave a review and note how helpful and encouraging Ms.Farber was through the entire process. She was always available to answer questions."

— Inga

"Attorney Farber represented me in a paternity lawsuit. She worked things out with my ex without even having to go to mediation, saving me lots of money. It has been over a year since we got the parenting plan done and it has been very helpful to see my kids. Thank you once again."

— Alex L

"Helena Farber handled a family law matter for me including relocation and time sharing agreements. Going through family law is very stressful however Helena kept me up to date every step of the way. She was courteous, answered questions no matter how often I asked them, was on top of everything. You could tell she cared about the well being of my children and was a staunch advocate for myself and my family. She is very knowledgeable, gave great legal advice and I would recommend her to anyone looking for a family law lawyer. She continues to be available for questions and concerns even after our case reached settlement. I would not hesitate to hire Helena again."

— Christine

"I wanted to leave my partner but we had joint property and she was not doing well mentally and was hard to reason with. Ms. Farber advised me of my legal rights and gave me several options as to how to proceed. She was very understanding and sensitive with the situation. She returned calls very quickly and followed up with me timely."

— Laura